Make these: Spiced Christmas biscuits
Christmas is just around the corner and we're being urged to stay at home. It's the perfect time to bake up a storm! Try these spiced Christmas biscuits from Surrey chef Laura Scott.
Private chef, cookery tutor, and Epsom supper club host Laura Scott has just launched her festive bakes menu which includes such delights as gingerbread loaf with salted caramel icing, luxury mince pies and Terry’s chocolate orange choc chunk cookie.
But if you fancy a bit of at-home baking – these Christmas biscuits should satisfy your sweet tooth until the mince pies arrive. They also make great tree decorations, or you could bundle a few up together brown paper tied with red ribbon and give them as gifts.
Spiced Christmas biscuits
- 40 g light muscovado sugar
- 1 tbsp treacle
- 1/2 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 tbsp water
- 50 g unsalted butter cut into cubes
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 115 g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- pinch of salt
- Put the sugar, syrup, treacle, water, spices and butter together in a saucepan
- Then bring them to the boil
- Stir in the flour and bicarb of soda until you have a smooth dough
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C
- Dust a work surface with flour and roll out the dough then cut using Christmas biscuit cutters
- Line two baking sheets with baking parchment
- Arrange the biscuits on the baking sheets and bake for 10–12 minutes
- Decorate using coloured icing pens or royal icing placed into a piping bag with a fine nozzle
Recipe notes: The dough will keep well in the fridge for a couple of days covered cling film. You could freeze the dough to use later, or shape the biscuits and freeze them so they are ready to bake from frozen. Just give them 2 more minutes in the oven.
Laura’s monthly supper club meet ups are on hold during the Covid-19 restrictions, but she’s offering a delicious At Home dining menu as well cakes, bakes and cookies. Collection is Friday afternoon in Espom, or Laura will deliver to Ashtead, Leatherhead, Cheam, Worcester Park, Tadworth, Banstead, Oxshott, Esher, Cobham, Sutton for a small £2 delivery fee. Find the menus here.