If you've resolved to take better care of your teeth in 2020, this is a good place to start. Here are five steps for getting great teeth.
You’ve probably made a list of resolutions around eating better, exercising more and most likely drinking less. But don’t forget your smile!
To help you along, Elmsleigh House Dental Clinic in Farnham have come up with five easy five steps for looking after your teeth in 2020.
1. See your dentist and hygienist for regular check ups. As well as taking a preventive approach to dental care, your dentist will also check for mouth cancer.
2. Brush your teeth well. You should brush your teeth at least twice a day for a minimum of two minutes with toothpaste containing at least 1450ppm fluoride, as this helps protect teeth from cavities.
This video, from dental hygienist Gill, at Elmsleigh House Dental Clinic in Farnham, shows you exactly how it’s done!
3. Cut back on sugar. Cutting down sugary food and drinks from your diet will considerably reduce your risk of tooth decay. But you don’t have to banish the chocolate bars for good, the hygienists at Elmsleigh House recommend simply keeping sweet treats to meal times. This way you’ll avoid constant snacking, and that will be handy for your waistline too!! They also say you should always brush your teeth well afterwards.
4. Stop smoking. There are so many good reasons to quit smoking – and your oral health is just one of them. Smoking doubles the risk of gum disease, and as we know, it’s also been linked to many other health issues including lung cancer. Get help to quit if needed!
5. Eat healthily. When you cut back on sugar, resolve to eat healthily – not just for your teeth but also for your general wellbeing. Dairy products high in calcium are great for your teeth, and fibrous foods increase your saliva and help scrub away plaque from your teeth.
Elmsleigh House Dental Clinic in Farnham offers personalised dental care and an exceptional range of treatments. elmsleighhouse.co.uk