My Favourites heart

My Favourites

Save your favourites with a single click and you’ll never forget a brilliant Muddy recommendation.

THINGS TO DO. ARTS. EAT. TRAVEL. FASHION. BEAUTY. KIDS. HOME

Get the inside line on what’s unique, special and new near you, straight to your inbox across 25 counties

Back to Property

Dreaming of buying your own home? Here’s how

If you thought that owning your own home was a long-distant dream - think again. The Government's Help to Buy scheme and Courtyard Gardens in Oxted make it entirely possible.

Help to buy, Courtyard Gardens apartments, Oxted, Surrey

Owning your own home – it’s the dream right? It’s not just the pride and security of having a place to call your own. It also means you can paint the walls any colour you desire, attach permanent fixtures and decorate to your own tastes.

But getting your foot on the property ladder is no easy feat. The average price of a house in the UK rose by 8.5% in the 12 months to December 2020, which means the cost of the average house in the UK is at a record high of £251,500. Thats a lot of money – and for first-time buyers who are trying to save up to 20% for a deposit, the struggle is real.

But there is good news – thanks to the Government’s Help to Buy scheme and luxury property developer St William which has just launched the first range of apartments available under the scheme at Courtyard Gardens in the centre of Oxted.

Help to buy, Courtyard Gardens apartments, Oxted, Surrey

Courtyard Gardens is made up of 111 one, two and three-bedroom apartments and penthouses, and combines beautiful design, elegant living and all the amenities of city living. It’s the perfect first step into the world of home ownership for young singletons, couples and families.

It’s great news, too, for the tens of thousands of Londoners who are moving, or looking to move, out of the city. Oxted – unsurprisingly – is high on the list of desirable new addresses.

And it’s no wonder. Oxted is everything you want in an English country town: it’s at the foot of the North Downs, boasts a pretty high street, has an easy train commute to London or nearby Croydon, and is only 20 minutes by car to Gatwick airport. There are also excellent leisure facilities and a brilliant choice of schools, lovely independent shops, cafés and restaurant, plus the Oxted Beer Fest. No wonder it’s catnip to commuters.

Courtyard Gardens, Oxted

Help to Buy: how does it work?

Okay! The good news: if you’re a first-time buyer in England you’re eligible to apply for a Help to Buy Equity Loan – a loan from the Government that you can put towards the cost of buying a new-build home.

Under the scheme, you can borrow up to 20% and you won’t pay interest on the equity loan for the first five years. What this essentially means is that new buyers can purchase a home with as little as 5% deposit of their own. The remaining 95% of the purchase price is covered by the 20% equity loan a standard mortgage (75%). It gets first timers a whole lot closer to home ownership – and makes that task of saving for a deposit more achievable.

The equity loan must be paid back in full – either at the end of the loan term, when you pay off your repayment mortgage or when you sell your home.

Courtyard Gardens, Oxted, Surrey

Under the scheme, you must buy from a home builder who is registered for the Help to Buy Equity Loan – such as St William who’s building Courtyard Gardens in Oxted. Help to Buy is available on a range of two-bedroom apartments at Courtyard Gardens.

Move in this summer, prices for a two-bed start at £437,000, therefore a first-time buyer must save a deposit of £21,850. The remainder of the purchase price is made up of the Government’s equity loan (£87,400) and your repayment mortgage. (£327,750).

So you see, the home ownership dream can happen. Now, what colour were you thinking for the living room walls?

Book a visit to the Courtyard Gardens show home which launches on April 10 and 11. courtyardgardensoxted.co.uk 

To find out more about Help to Buy and benefiting from the Government Stamp Duty Holiday please visit www.courtyardgardensoxted.co.uk or visit Robert Leech on Oxted high street.

Tell us what you think

Your email address will not be published.

* Required
* Required

Little Black Book

The Little Black Book

Our A-Z of the grooviest local businesses to help make your life easier

View the businesses
Back Home

The Urban Guide to the Countryside - Surrey

Reader Treats Just For You!